Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

I have a 2 year old black chicken that eats wheat well, has

Customer Question

I have a 2 year old black chicken that eats wheat well, has a real red comb, has clear skin, not infested with anything, and is free on the farm yard. At least for 6 weeks she stands up, walks stiff legged, and sits down. She is sitting down more and more. What can I give her so that she is normal again?
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 7 months ago.

Cathy, do you know if this hen has been laying normally? Her behavior suggests egg binding but she couldn't be completely bound for 6 weeks or there would be no more hen.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
She has laid 3 eggs since she has been closed up for about 2 weeks. What can I give her?

Here are some basic guidelines if she's having trouble passing eggs:

Low Calcium Levels: If a hen is low or lacking in calcium she will not be able to put on a hard shell. The shell needs to be nice and hard so when the muscles contract, the egg is easier moved through the oviduct. If it is soft, these types of eggs are not able to move as easy. Calcium also plays a role in the contractions of the entire vviduct and shell Gland. So, if she is low on calcium, the muscles will not contract well enough to expel the egg. Suppliment with Calciboost or Calcivet or similar product available in your local feed store.

Malnutrition or a bad diet: A hen that is deficient in many nutrients and vitamins can become egg bound very easily. Vitamin D3, magnesium and phosphorus need to be in the right proportions for the hen to break down and make the calcium usable inside her body. If she is not eating right, this will contribute to the lack of calcium in the shell or the contractions to expel the egg. Make sure that a high quality layer food is being offered.

Dehydration: Water is very important for the process of pushing the egg out. If she is dehydrated the oviduct can become dry, hence the egg is not going to move out properly. Make sure water is always available and in more than one location...particularly in the summertime heat.

Being sedentary or fat: Hens that do not get enough exercise, have not developed or lost good muscle tone or have too much fat in their abdomen will have trouble passing eggs properly. Buy her a treadmill. Just kidding.

Large or misshapen eggs: If the hen is producing unusually large eggs or oddly shaped eggs, these types can become stuck easily if they are unable to pass through the pelvis. Many times overly large eggs are genetic in origin. Misshapen eggs can be caused from something having gone wrong in the reproductive system, eggs backing in on each other, or a defective shell gland. Of course, if the hen just can't seem to put a shell on the egg, the shell gland could be deemed defective.

Illness: Any illness that causes weakness, lack of appetite, low consumption of water or other reactions to being ill can cause the hen to be unable to pass an egg. She would need a thorough exam and testing by an avian vet (please see here: www.aav.org) which may not be reasonable financially in your operation.

Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Is the 2& dollars in addition to the :4 dollars? I am wanting the chicken to be able to stand up and walk normal instead of sitting down constantly. Eggs have nothing to do with my question

I don't believe you've understood what I've tried to tell you. I'll opt out which will give another expert the opportunity to explain how eggs can cause what you're seeing. Please contact***@******.*** for any questions concerning your financial obligation to the site.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** don't want another veterinarian.