Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

I am trying to find out what might be wrong with my

Customer Question

I am trying to find out what might be wrong with my cockatiel. She has a small lump on back on the left side right about 3/4 " above her left leg joint. It's raised up a couple feathers. I pet her daily so noticed it a few days ago. She's 14 years old.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your bird?
Customer: She is a cinnamon pearl and a plucked. It is spring and of course there is a male bird and he is always on the left side. I don't know if that might have something to do with it or not
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 4 months ago.

Cockatiels of her age are prone to skin tumors in the form of squamous cell carcinoma, fibroma and fibrosarcomas. I would prefer that the lump represented a feather cyst, of course, but that's not an area in which a cyst is likely nor are cockatiels prone to feather cysts. Ordinarily I ask for a photo of thse lumps but I understand that the lump may be difficult to visualize and she may not stay still long enough for a good photo . Ultimately, these lumps need to be examined hands-on by an avian vet (please see here: They can be needle aspirated and the aspirate microscopically evaluated in an attempt to identify the type of lump present. A benign fibroma might be left alone. A malignantfibrosarcoma, however, should be removed; hence, the need to know what we're dealing with.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.