Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

We just found a beautiful pigeon, and it has a slight gash

Customer Question

Hi we just found a beautiful pigeon, and it has a slight gash in its back. what can we put on its back. And what can we give it to eat we have bird seed from our birds at home. we are gong to keep it in a bird carrier until tomorrow and bring it to the vet here.
Category: Bird Veterinary
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
on its back between its feathers
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 9 months ago.

Thank you for caring for this pigeon. Over the counter chlorhexidine (Hebiclens in your local pharmacy) is a safe and effective broad spectrum antimicrobial that can be applied to that gash. I prefer to avoid triple antibiotic ointments lest they be ingested by birds who preen treated areas. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish. Keep him warm and offer dog or cat food - dry or wet, bread, hard boiled egg yolk, and various bird seeds. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Alright we have wild bird seed and we are giving him or her that and we he loves it , its warm here today. ok...um alright..he has tags with numbers I guess I will look up bird organizations???to find the owner/ What if they dont have chlorhexidine??
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The pharmacy is closed , what do I do in the mean time???
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Can you use Hydrogen peroxide??

A mild hand soap rinsed well will suffice. His enjoying the seed is a very positive prognostic sign. Yes, how good that he is tagged! Hydrogen peroxide isn't much of a disinfectant. I'd stick with the hand soap rinsed well. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Alright, we will use the hand shower and some soap and gently wash the bird. And try to find the owner...I am not sure how to do that but I am sure I will figure it out. there must be some way on the internet. Thank You for your help, yes its a good sign he is eating and drinking. We are very happy!! Thank you so much for your help please reply

It's my pleasure. I used to bring injured pigeons home when I was a kid. Look for a pigeon/dove club in your area on the web.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok yeah, me too but they always died so its very cool for me very!!
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Your Awesome!! Thanks!!

This one is going to make it. I used to throw them up in the air every day and if they flew away I knew that they'd be OK. If they crashed they went back into the cardboard box with a grate covering the top. That was my fancy intensive care cage.

I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I will do that , thank you!! Off we go

I appreciate it!