Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

My Cockapoo has a cough. It's not constant but when she does

Customer Question

My Cockapoo has a cough. It's not constant but when she does cough it sounds like there is something caught in her throat. She coughs and then gags, similar to a cat with a hair ball.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Coughing can be worrying. The Veterinarian will know what you should do. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Her name is ***** ***** she is 12 yrs old.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Laura?
Customer: About 2 yrs ago she had a mammary tumor that burst. It was diagnosed as cancer and her life expectancy was 6 months at that time
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 4 months ago.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Laura. Such a cough at her age should be considered a warning sign for advanced cardiopulmonary disorders such as a sterile bronchitis (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease/COPD), heartworm disease, congestive heart failure, and neoplasia particularly because mammary cancers are known to metastasize to the lungs. Please have Laura auscultated (listened to) and her chest X-rayed at your earliest convenience. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.