Dr. B.
Dr. B., Bird Veterinarian
Experience:  As a veterinary surgeon, I have spent a lot of time with bird cases and I'm happy to help you.

It looks like my bird has diarrhea - yellow liquid. He is

Customer Question

It looks like my bird has diarrhea - yellow liquid. He is also fluffed up.
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long has he been having diarrhea?

Any change to his appetite or thirst?

Any chance of harmful ingestions (ie toxins, plants, moldy food, etc)?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I don't know how long he's had the diarrhea. Just saw this morning that he was all puffed up. He doesn't make any noises either. Can't tell you anything about his appetite or thirst either. He was in a cage with 2 other birds. They seem fine. I put him in a separate cage and that's when I noticed his droppings.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No chance of harmful ingestions either.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Thank you,

First, I am glad to hear there is no toxin risk here, since there are so many worrisome things they can get into. Though I have to say that I am quite concerned about your wee one. Especially if we cannot be sure how long he has been losing fluids/nutrition via diarrhea nor if he is eating and drinking. So, you were absolutely right to separate him. This will reduce the risk of spread to the others but also let you keepa close eye on what he is doing and what we need to address.

Now in regards ***** ***** for this, diarrhea and lethargy, then we'd also have to be wary of an underlying issue (ie systemic based, infectious, organ based, etc) being present. Therefore, we do need to tread with great care here. Especially since our birds tend to hide that they are unwell until it is quite advanced.So, this lack of voice and fluffing are quite significant.

With this all in mind, I would suggest starting a probiotic/immune support treatment like Avipro Plus. As well, if while monitoring you find that he isn't eating well, we'd want to consider tempting him with favourite foods +/- supplementing with a calorie/nutrient rich treatment like Nutrical. Or you can even purchase OTC handfeeding pastes (ie Zupreem) to use if need be. That way we can try to settle any benign gut disturbances and try to keep nutrition getting into him to prevent any weight loss.

Otherwise, we'd want to have him checked by his local vet at this stage. Or at the very least, we’d want to submit a stool sample for testing. This can be checked for our suspect infectious agents (bacteria, viruses, parasites, and protozoa). If he sees his vet in person, he can also be examined +/- bloods taken to rule systemic ones. Depending on those findings and their examination, they can start treatment to clear this diarrhea and get your lad settled.

Overall, diarrhea in birds can quickly lead to dehydration, nutrition loss, and make them feel unwell. So, if he is letting you know he is feeling under the weather, we need to be proactive here. So, we’d want to initate the above supportive care, montor, and plan to have him checked if this doesn’t settle in the next 12-24 hours with our care.

Just in case you do need an avian vet and do not have one already, you can check where you can find one at near you at AAV (, Avian web( or Birdsnway(

Please take care,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please rate my service afterwards, as this is the only way I am credited for helping you today. Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
What about some Pedialyte?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

If you find he is drinking poorly, you can use fruity flavored Pedialyte. Though ideally, we'd want to use a bird balanced electrolyte solution (ie Vit-al) if we can since they will be better balanced for avian needs.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.