Katie Volat
Katie Volat, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian at Veterinary Hospital

I found my cockatiel dead inside s cage with s neck broken

Customer Question

I found my cockatiel dead inside his cage with his neck broken and his left eye popped. I would like to know what the cause of death is.
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Katie Volat replied 4 months ago.

This is Dr. KV. I am so sorry for your loss. It sounds like your bird may have gotten tangled in you have any rope toys in his cage? It may have strangled him by accident.

You could take his body to your local bird vet for a necropsy to determine the exact cause of death.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I do have rope toys in his cage. He rarely ever trips or falls. So it seemed very odd that he would trip or get tangled. I haven't changed the bedding in the cage for the past 3 or 4 weeks. Could that be related by any chance?

Probably not. Another possiblity would be choking on something....maybe a larger seed or object in the cage? Do you have any other pets?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
he shared the cage with another cockatiel and a budgie.
Also, the upper part of his beak was tucked into the lower part of the beak. I dont understand how that happened.

Ah, that sounds like he may have choked on something or possibly flew into the side of the cage and hit his head. Have you ever seen him fight with the his cage buddies?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Yeah sometimes he fought with them. If they got too close when he wanted to be left alone

Thank you for the additional info. Based on that info, my best guess is that he got upset and flew against the side of the cage, which broke his neck and caused the abnormal beak position you observed. A local bird vet may be able to tell you more if it would help provide closure.

Feel free to reach out if I can assist you further. I am so sorry for your loss.

With appreciation,

Dr. KV

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?