Rebekah Kane
Rebekah Kane, Bird Veterinarian
Experience:  small animal veterinarian
94503255

I found an abandoned duckling in a parking lot, it doesn't

Customer Question

hi
JA: Hello. What do you want help with?
Customer: i found an abandoned duckling in a parking lot
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the bird?
Customer: it doesn't seem to want to drink
JA: Where does the bird seem to hurt?
Customer: it was staggering around but i can't see anything wrong with it
JA: OK. No obvious pain. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: let me look closer; i'm afraid to hurt it one sec
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the bird?
Customer: no looks okay but is acting weird/won't drink
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Rebekah Kane replied 5 months ago.

Hi there, I am Dr. Kane, and I will do my best to assist you with your the duckling you found today. Please give me a moment to type up a response to your concerns. In the meantime- please take a moment to relay any other pertinent information. Sound good?

The first thing you are going to want to do is look online or call a local veterinarian to see if a wildlife rehabilitator is in your area. A wildlife rehabilitator is licensed to care for abandoned or injured wildlife, and are the most experienced in being able to provide the appropriate care.

You can use a large cardboard box or plastic tub to keep him in until getting him to the appropriate rehabilitation organization. Leave it open on the top for ventilation, and line the bottom with paper towels for traction. Ducklings need to be kept warm; placing a desktop lamp, or 75 watt light bulb, over one corner of the box should provide adequate heat. The duckling can move to the more shaded side if he becomes too hot.

A duckling found weak or staggering can immediately be given a mix of sugar water, applied to the tongue. He may be suffering from lack of proper nutrition and could die if unresponsive to the mixture and food within half an hour. Find duckling-specific feed at farm or pet stores. In the meantime, offer him crumbled bread, cottage cheese, oatmeal, chopped greens or a hard-boiled egg with a finely chopped shell for calcium. Always provide clean, fresh water in a very shallow dish so the duckling does not drown.

If you are satisfied with this answer, please provide a rating for me today, thank you.

Please don't forget to provide a rating!

please provide a rating!

Please provide a rating for me so I can receive credit for helping you out, thank you!