Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

I have a 10 hour old heritage turkey poult that has bulgy

Customer Question

I have a 10 hour old heritage turkey poult that has bulgy eyes. Is there anything I can do to help it. It's walking around fine and seems alert.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: No I haven't. Where on the foot should I look?
JA: The Veterinarian will ask you more detailed questions to find out what is causing this. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the bird?
Customer: Nothing I can think of.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 5 months ago.

This poult is likely to be suffering from either turkey coryza (Bordetella avium) or avian mycoplasmosis - both can cause swelling of the infraorbital sinuses and conjunctivitis you're describing as "bulgy eyes". This can be treated with the appropriate antibiotic. I'd like the poult to be either injected intramuscularly with tylosin in the form of Tylan-50 available in your local feed store or given the injectable solution orally directly into his beak at a dose of 20-30 mg/lb once daily for 5-7 days. You'll need a tuberculin syringe to measure out the small dose of tylosin needed for it.

The antibiotic can't remove the infection completely but should decrease morbidity (severity of symptoms). Most birds will remain carriers of these bacteria. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hello I'm sorry I didn't see this earlier. The poult died early yesterday morning. We are very sad to have lost it. Thank you for your diagnosis. I had treated it twice with the Tylan 50 per your note but it did not make it long enough for the full treatment course.

My condolences. You gave it your best. You may receive an inappropriate follow-up from the site ostensibly sent by me. It wasn't and I apologize in advance should you receive it.