Dr. B.
Dr. B., Bird Veterinarian
Experience:  As a veterinary surgeon, I have spent a lot of time with bird cases and I'm happy to help you.
60269376

It seems that every day one bird comes out with its eye

Customer Question

It seems that every day one bird comes out with its eye shut. The first one was really swollen, but that has decreased a lot. The second was a little swollen and seems to be fine, and this morning it was the rooster. They eye is not swollen just shut closed.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the bird's name and age?
Customer: The first bird doesn't have a name age 2
JA: Got it. I'm sure you'll come up with a good name.
Customer: The second bird is 3 months
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Age?
Customer: The the Rooster (rex) 1 year
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Is it the tissues around the eyes that look swollen? Is it just one or both eyes?

Any discharges? What color?

Does the eyeball look hazy or cloudy at all?

Are you hearing any sneezing or coughing in the flock?

Can you take a photo of this? If you can and post them, it will let me see what you are seeing. To post them online, you can use the paper clip icon above your text box. Or if you cannot see that on your phone/computer, just post them on any site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, Imgr etc) and paste the web link here for me follow.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
There was some sneezing going around and I removed the 2 that had been showing signs and treated them. It seemed to be going better until others came away with swollen eyes. I had originally thought the first had maybe damaged it in the woods or got pecked that night. The following day the swelling went down, but one more day passed and another littler chickens eye was swollen (not as bad). Once again could have been pecking order, since it happened in the coop. Then this morning the Roosters eye was shut closed, I don't think the Hens would have pecked him since I have never seen that before. His eye has now opened and looking better. I checked the little chucked eye and couldn't find anything in it.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

Thank you,

What treatments are you using thus far?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I was using the VETRX for the 2 I separated that are back with the flock. I haven't treat the eye problem yet because my initial thought was that it was either pecked or hurt it while free ranging.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

Thank you again,

Now looking at the photos, the eyes themselves look fine but we do have mild edema of the periorbital region. This could be traumatic; but if we have this in multiple birds and sneezing, we'd be most wary of a mile upper airway infection (ie Pasteurella, E.coli inducing a mild swollen head syndrome, influenza, etc).

With this in mind, its great that you isolated them from the others. Though we’d really want any sneezing birds (as they are spreading this into the common airspace) isolated as well. Otherwise, we’d need to consider blanket treating the flock with an antibiotic (ie Tylosin, Tetracycline, Sulphonamides, erythromycin, etc). Both are available at most farm supply stores as a water or feed additive. For any with ocular discharge, you can continue your treatment +/- flush the eyes with saline (ie OTC first aid eye wash, plain contact lens solution). This will reduce secondary conjunctivitis for them.

Overall, with multiple birds affected and the fact you are hearing some sneezing, trauma is possible for 1 or 2 but unlikely to be the root cause here. Therefore, we'd want to initiate the above for this flock to ensure we nip this in the bud.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.