Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My bird got tangled in string and was bleeding this morning

Customer Question

Hi Pearl,
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the bird?
Customer: My bird got tangled in string and was bleeding this morning - tangled up. He was bleeding and the string had to be cut off and the bleeding stopped with steptic powder. He is fine now but I am worried about infection. He seems to have lost his one toenail. Is there anything I can get that would prevent infection? We are way out in the country and the nearest bird vet is 80 miles away. It is a 3 month old parrotlet.
JA: The Veterinarian will know what to do about this bleeding. I'll connect you ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your bird?
Customer: no, he is otherwise a very healthy bird - young hand fed baby. with the other 2 offspring. Should I separate him?
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 6 months ago.

Yes, you can soak that foot in over the counter chlorhexidine (Hebiclens in your local pharmacy) twice daily for 5 minutes. This is a safe and effective antimicrobial even when inadvertently ingested. I prefer not to apply triple antibiotic ointments lest my patient ingests them. They can be useful, however, if infection overwhelms the chlorhexidine which, thankfully, isn't likely.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.