Dr Chris
Dr Chris, Bird Veterinarian
Experience:  Registered General Practioner
94516894

It cant walk well and the parents left it in my yard : I

Customer Question

it cant walk well and the parents left it in my yard
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: I cant see anything and when I hold him legs seem to move just fine
JA: What is the bird's name and age?
Customer: its a canadian gossling still fuzzy no feathers yet
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the bird?
Customer: It was walking just fine earlier this am when I spotted them all 10 mins. later its not
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Chris replied 6 months ago.

Hi there. My name is***** will do my best to help with your question. First I have a few questions to help me better understand your situation.

Are you able to describe the way the gosling is walking? Is it favouring or not using a certain leg? Is it struggling to stand and support is body weight?

​Can you see any patches of missing feathers on the bird?

I understand the parents were in your yard earlier, and then flew off? Did you see anything that might have scared or chased them off?
How long has it been since the bird has been left your care?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
its right foot seems to be weak, I cant see any injuries on it,it has been here for about an hour and half the parents 4 and 5 babies 1 that was left here. I gave it a bowl of water some grass and chopped up romaine. Its scared and hissing at me and trying to pinch my hand if I get to close
Expert:  Dr Chris replied 6 months ago.

It is at least promising that it sounds so feisty, and acting like a wild animal should. If it's been only an hour or so, there's a good chance that the parents will come back to look for it within the next day or so. Normally, if the bird has no injuries, we would advise putting it back where it was found, so that the parents can find it. But if it does have a weak or injured leg, it may be still unable to leave if the parents do come back.

​It would be ideal to get the bird to a local vet that is authorised to see wildlife, who will be able to give it a good check over and determine if there is an injury that needs treatment. If it does, they will be able to put the bird with a suitable, experience carer for that species, once it has received initial care, so that it can continue to heal. It is likely that the wildlife carer will have other goslings in their care, so this one will be grow up in good company and be able to develop normal goose social skills. If the vet finds nothing wrong with the bird, they may prefer that you take it back to your yard initially, to see if the parents return for it. For that reason, it would be best to get the bird examined quickly, so that it can be returned quickly if necessary.

Expert:  Dr Chris replied 6 months ago.

I hope I’ve provided the information you were seeking. If not, please let me know so l can continue to help you.

If you are happy with my service, please provide a rating at the top of this page. Otherwise the website will not reimburse me for my time. Thank you.