Sophie Knafo
Sophie Knafo, Bird Veterinarian
Experience:  Clinical Assistant Professor at Tufts Univeristy
94508002

I have a cockatiel name Sunshine and I can't find any avian

Customer Question

Hi, I have a cockatiel name Sunshine and I can't find any avian vets where I live. Yesterday I noticed Sunshine wasn't eating and I even tried putting the food up to her and she still wouldn't eat it. She drinks water and somethings spits it back up. I noticed today that Sunshine has poop stuck in her vent and I tried taking a warm cloth to get it off. It helped a little but it's still there. Sunshine still isn't eating and I have no where to take her. Can you please help me and tell me how to help her. Thanks
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Sophie Knafo replied 6 months ago.

Hi, This is Dr. Knafo. Sunshine could be very sick and I'm worried about her. Just her subtle changes in appetite, inability to keep down water, and dirty vent are all indicative of illness. What exactly is going on could be a lot of things and without an exam and maybe some other diagnostics it would be hard to tell. I would recommend you go on the Association of Avian Veterinarians website and use their "Find a Vet" tool. You might have to travel a few hours to locate a qualified avian vet but it will be well worth it. Birds can hide symptoms until disease is well advanced and Sunshine will benefit from quick medical attention. I would recommend at least a full physical exam, blood work if she is strong enough, X-rays, a fecal exam for parasites and also a fecal stain to look at the bacteria balance and check for any fungus/yeast or clostridium like bacteria. A crop sample for similar testing and possible culture might be needed. A qualified avian vet will be able to prioritize these tests to get help Sunshine and hopefully start some antibiotics or other medications as they see fit. In the meantime, keep Sunshine away from any extreme temperatures that could stress her, keep her quiet and offer her favorite foods to coax her to eat. There is not much more you can do by yourself without a veterinarian's prescription for some medication. If in the event you absolutely cannot travel to an avian vet, call your local veterinarian and see if they would be willing to see her. Even if they are not trained in avian medicine, they can call their closest university or referral practice and get a phone consult with an experienced avian vet and this may allow you to get Sunshine some medication sooner. I wish you and Sunshine the best. I hope she feels better soon and this information was helpful to you.

Take care,

Dr. Knafo