Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

Scratching at ear : Captain 4 years old : No seams normal

Customer Question

Scratching at ear
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the bird's name and age?
Customer: Captain Jack 4 years old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Captain Jack?
Customer: No seams normal self
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 6 months ago.

Hi, this is r. Gabby. Is the ear red inside? Is there any drainage or debris in the ear?

Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 6 months ago.

Our primary concern is otitis externa (outer ear infection) but this is an uncommon disorder. It may result from infection with bacteria, fungi, mycobacteria, or infestation with arthropod parasites (Cnemidocoptes). It may occur as an extension of generalized skin disease or may be due to neoplasia (cancer) or trauma.

The diagnosis is based on clinical signs, cytology (microscopic exam of any ear exudate) and culture. Systemic and topical antibiotics are given as indicated by culture.

Otitis media and otis interna (middle and inner ear infection) are also uncommon. They can occur as a result of developmental abnormalities seen in some canaries. Other causes include an extension of otitis externa or sinusitis. What type of bird is Jack, please?