Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

I think my budgie has scaly mites around it's eyes and

Customer Question

I think my budgie has scaly mites around it's eyes and beginning on it's beak. We inherited him from my grandmother and he's not tame. We have lotion but firstly, we aren't sure if we can put it around his eyes and secondly, we aren't sure the best method of putting it on a untamed budgie. Any help you could offer we would be grateful. Thanks
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 8 months ago.

Can you upload a photo(s) of Bobby's face to our conversation? You can use the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see the icon) or you can use an external app such as dropbox.com/ I can be more accurate for you if I can see what you're seeing. In budgies with these mites we see proliferative, crusty, exuberant growths on the beak, cere, face, legs, the margin of the vent and on the wing tips. A characteristic "honey-combed" appearance is due to the mite tunneling through the keratin.

Management is by ivermectin or moxidectin used at 0.2 mg/kg topically, orally or parenterally, repeated every two weeks until the crusts disappear (usually three treatments are required). Topical creams and liquids are often not effective, as the whole bird must be treated. I recommend having an avian vet attend to an untamed budgie. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Bobby. How is everything going?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hi I've attached a picture of Bobby where you can see his eye, let me know if you need a closer picture to see.ThanksMorag

Thank you, Morag. The photo is a bit out of focus but it does suggest Cnemidocoptes (the scaly leg and face mite). Can you get me a closer pic? I'd appreciate it.