Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

Hen has large swollen mass hanging bum...can not feel an

Customer Question

Hen has large swollen mass hanging bum...can not feel an egg...have bathed her several times...this is day 3 should I press on the mass at all ?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the bird's name?
Customer:'s not a growth I think it's a prolapsed egg duct
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the bird?
Customer: But it's pretty swollen and quite large...but not like her organs hanging out
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 4 months ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

Please take a look here: and tell me if that mass represents a prolapsed vent. If so, there are instructions on how you might address it or an avian vet (please see here: can attend to Speckle for you.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have looked on the websites...that's why I paid for some help...she has had the treatments recommended on them ...bathing ....looking in vent for not feel one...her bum is ver red and swollen Pretty hard....but nothing is hanging out of the vent ....this is day 3 she seems pretty alert...but ..what do I do about this issue

Ah! I see what you're saying now. It's possible to have a prolapse that isn't visable but that's not going to cause a swollen mass large enough to cause her bum to "hang". You appear to be describing ascites - a collection of fluid in the coelom (abdomen). That's seen with right-sided heart failure, liver and kidney insufficiencies, a yolk peritonitis (unlikely if she's "pretty alert") or neoplasia (cancer) in the coelom. How old is Speckle, please?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
She is around 3 years old

Thank you. Would you consider her overweight?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No she is not fat

Thank you. She doesn't fit the picture of a heart patient with an effusive (fluid-filled) abdomen. An inflammatory disorder in the coelom (infection, neoplasia), salpingitis (infection of the oviduct) with retained eggs, liver or kidney insufficiency resulting in hypoalbuminemia (decreased serum albumin level) are all considerations. Unfortunately, none of these disorders can be identified and then treated without the help of an avian vet. I understand that it's best to approach the diagnostic process with a clear sense of Speckles's value to your operation. Although some services such as your county animal disease diagnostic laboratory might be available free of charge through a county agency or land-grant extension office, the expense of some diagnostic tests and treatments can add up quickly. While it’s always worth your time and money to identify a bacterial or viral infection that could potentially impact more than one member of the flock, this might not be the case with a condition that only affects one hen. It frustrates me that I can't be more specific for you but such is the dilemma of poultry owners and vets alike.