Dr. Pat
Dr. Pat, Bird Veterinarian
Experience:  25+ years working primarily or exclusively with birds

I have a layer hen whose comb is shrinking and grayish. She

Customer Question

I have a white layer hen whose comb is shrinking and grayish. She has been picked on by the other hens and the comb bled. I thought it was healing but now the state of her comb is bad. Also, she is having a hard time with her balance. She has loose excretion but has a good appetite and seems to have picked up energy. Any idea what I can do for her?
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

Are you seeing any pus, discharge, or is there odor from the non-healing comb?

What does her stool look like?

What color are her gums/oral tissue? Pink, pale/white, or yellow tinted?

Any access to toxins or history of injury?

Any belly distension, leg issues, fever, or breathing changes?

Can you take a photo of her comb for me? If you can and post them, it will let me see what you are seeing. To post them online, you can use the paper clip icon above your text box. Or if you cannot see that on your phone/computer, just post them on any site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, Imgr etc) and paste the web link here for me follow.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
file:///C:/Users/Jan/Downfile:///C:/Users/Jan/Downloads/2016060file:///C:/Users/Jan/Downloads/20160601_110153.jpg1_110212.jpgloads/20160601_110230.jpgfile:///C:/Users/Jan/Downloads/20160601_110051.jpgI sent you a picture of a healthy hen. She doesn't seem to have a fever. She does walk "like a duck" (my granddaughter). Her gums are pink. Her poop was runny a couple of weeks ago but is firming up. Her appetite is good. Her comb looks better today.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I forgot to say, as you can see I took pictures of her. We keep their coup (we call it the chicken condo) clean. My granddaughters clean it out every week. There are six hens with room to roam. They're about 4 years(?) old.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello again,

It doesn't appear that your photos have posted (they will look blue with a link when they do). All that I can see is the address to where they are on your computer. So, I must ask you to try reposting or perhaps posting on another site and pasting the link to then here.

Otherwise, I am glad to hear that she is improving. Though any signs of open wound or pus from the comb at this point?

Does her balance seem better too? When you say she walks like a duck, do you think her belly looks distended?

Any palpable egg, fluid or masses in her belly?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I will try again a little later. Can I send them by email?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello again,

I am afraid I cannot provide an email due to website policy. If you cannot get the photos posted here or on another site, then you can contact customer service (HERE) and they can send photos on to me.

Dr. B.