Dr. B.
Dr. B., Bird Veterinarian
Experience:  As a veterinary surgeon, I have spent a lot of time with bird cases and I'm happy to help you.
60269376

I have 24 chickens, 3 yrs. old. never been treated . there

Customer Question

I have 24 chickens, 3 yrs. old. never been treated . there are a few that keep getting diarrhea. I clean my coops and yards daily and fresh water. they eat layer pellets and scratch.along with occasional tomato or watermelon. I sprinkle that diagenous soil for them to roll in to keep bugs off. I have given them yogurt 3 xs and it slows it down but comes back.
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee ones today.

Now if you keeps seeing recurrence of diarrhea, this suggests that it is being caused by repeated exposure (ie if they are eating toxic plants, exposed to chemicals, etc) or have a low grade infectious issue (ie bacteria, viral, parasitic, or protozoal) that isn't being cleared despite your good environmental management here.

With this in mind, the best next step further to your husbandry would be to collect stool samples from the currently affected birds and submitting these to your local vet. To keep costs down, you can pool the samples into one vial (since we will treat all based on the results). And I'd note that you can have a sample tested even if you don't have a local avian vet. Our vet labs test samples from most species and you need only the local to send it off or direct you on how to send the sample in yourself. Once we have results, you will be able to identify the cause of the diarrhea and treat effectively to stop it for these birds and prevent it from spread to the others.

Otherwise, we need to take a more broad spectrum approach. In regards ***** ***** affected birds need to be isolated from the group. If none have been treated, then worming at this stage would be ideal. Afterwards, for the affected birds you should consider an OTC avian specific probiotic (ie Avipro Plus, Benebac). As well, if they are very runny, we can treat with Kaolin/Kaopectate as well as increase their fiber intake (ie canned pumpkin, cooked brown rice, cous cous, oatmeal) as this can bulk up their stools. And if you are suspicious of bacterial agents, then a broad spectrum antibiotic (ie Tetracycline, Tylosin, Penicillin) from your local farm supply would also be an option. Though if we use the broad spectrum approach and don't see them settle, then we'd need to again consider stool testing to pinpoint the agent present and ensure we can settle this in the flock.

Just in case you do need an avian vet and do not have one already, you can check where you can find one at near you at:

AAV (http://www.aav.org/search/),

Avian web (http://www.beautyofbirds.com/recommendedvets.htm),

Lafeber database (http://lafeber.com/pet-birds/find-an-avian-vet/) or Birdsnway (http://www.birdsnways.com/birds/vets.htm).

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.
Hi Judee,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. B.