Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

My pet chicken sounds like she coughs, like she as the

Customer Question

My pet chicken sounds like she coughs, like she as the croop. She tries to breath though her mouth to get air. What can I do?
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 4 months ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer.

Bonnie, coughing chickens usually are suffering from infectious bronchitis which is caused by a coronavirus and doesn't respond to antibiotics. Thankfully, most chickens will remiss unaided. within a week. To prevent secondary bacterial infections, tetracycline can be mixed in water at the directions on the label. Duramycin-10 is often used: and can be found in feed stores or online. You can also mix tylosin in the water as per the label or inject tylosin in the form of Tylan-50 at the dose of 20-30 mg/lb once daily intramuscularly or you can give the injectable solution orally directly into Penny's beak for 5-7 days. These products are also availalble in your local feed store. If you don't see directions for that yellow powder, don't use it. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Penny. How is everything going?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have chosen the drug Tylan 50 because you stated it can be administered orally. At least that is what I thought when you said through the beak. I'm having trouble with the dose amount since the package states that it is for cattle and swine. It seems that 20-30 ml per pound is a little much for a chicken. Is that straight solution or deluted with water? Could you be more clear. I don't want to kill her. Thank you.

Yes, we wouldn't want to drown Penny. The dose is 20 mg/lb not 20 mL/lb. Tylan 50 contains 50 mg/mL of tylosin.

For example a 5 lb chicken might receive 5 lbs x 20 mg/lb = 100 mg. 100mg/50mg/mL = 2 mL

You're welcome.