Dr. B.
Dr. B., Bird Veterinarian
Experience:  As a veterinary surgeon, I have spent a lot of time with bird cases and I'm happy to help you.

My african grey parrot has one eye shut.

Customer Question

Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. Now if your bird has one eye shut, we need to be careful. Eyes are very delicate and the most common reason for squinting or closed eyes will be pain based (much like us). Specifically, we can see this if the eye has been injured, if there is a corneal ulcer, or if something is caught in the eye (ie dirt, grit, etc). Furthermore, if we see any discharge, this can be a sign of bacterial infection taking hold.With this in mind, if you can handle your bird, you will want to have a good look at the eyeball. Any clouding, hazing, or loss of shininess, redness, or swelling and we'd want to have your vet check this eye. They can stain the eye to determine if there is damage or ulceration and how severe (since some can be managed with eye drops but others sometimes need surgical grafts to save).Otherwise, if the eyeball looks normal, you can try flushing out any debris or building bacteria with eye safe saline (ie OTC first aid eye wash, contact lens solution). This is a mild antiseptic and can just remove anything caught and early stage infections. It can be done as needed (usually around 2-3 times daily).Overall, when a bird is closing one eye we do need to be very careful. It is a red flag of discomfort with that eye and the above would be concerns. So, do try flushing the eye but any of those other signs or if he isn't settling post-flush, then we'd want a check to head off any further damage or issue for this eye. Just in case you do need an avian vet and do not have one already, you can check where you can find one at near you at AAV (, Avian web( or Birdsnway( take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please rate my service afterwards, as this is the only way I am credited for helping you today. Thank you! : )