Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

We found a baby sparrow that had fallen out the nest at a

Customer Question

We found a baby sparrow that had fallen out the nest at a Sonic drive inn. He has been eating and doing well, but has a large bulge on the left side of his lower abdomen between his legs. Too low to be his crop, but I don't know what it is or if its bad or fixable.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: No nothing wrong with his foot
JA: The Veterinarian will ask you more detailed questions to find out what is causing this. What is the bird's name and age?
Customer: Jack and he is around 6 or 7 days old
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Jack?
Customer: Just that he is a wild bird
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 9 months ago.
I applaud your rescuing Jack. I believe that you've described a traumatic coelomic hernia. Although most hernias occur on the ventral midline, they can also be seen on the lateral body wall and dorsal to the vent. These are reparable but finding an avian vet (please see here: www.aav.org) who will work on a wild bird and accepting the considerable expense involved is likely to obviate this being done. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?