Dr. B.
Dr. B., Bird Veterinarian
Experience:  As a veterinary surgeon, I have spent a lot of time with bird cases and I'm happy to help you.

I think my love bird is real sick because she is very wobbly,

Customer Question

I think my love bird is real sick because she is very wobbly, has diarrhea, and eye lids r closing in and out. I'm afraid she will die overnight before I take her to the vet. What should I do in the meantime?
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. I share your concern about your lass.Especially since as a prey species, birds often hide early stage hints that they are unwell and don't act poorly (as she is) until they are in advanced states of disease. So, you are right to plan to have her seen as soon as your vet is open.In regards ***** ***** you can do in the meantime, you can try to encourage her to drink. Offer fresh water or you can dilute it with fruit juice or electrolyte solution (ie Vi-tal). These last 2 can help get some glucose into her to give her some energy and hopefully reduce her wobbliness. As well, the electrolytes will help balance what she is losing in diarrhea. And I would note that if she isn't keen to drink on her own and if she isn't overly stressed with handling, you could try to carefully handfeed her fluids.Otherwise, we will also want o help keep her eating. So, favorites can be offered and you can also give water filled fruits and veggies (ie apple, banana, cucumber, romaine, etc) to just get both food into her and fluids. You can also tempt her with fiber rich options like brown rice, cous cous, canned or boiled pumpkin, or a bit of oatmeal. And those can help by again getting nutrition in to help counter her weakness/wobbliness as well as bulk up her stools to reduce diarrhea. On top of all of this, if you have a local pet store open, you could also start her with a Nutrical paste to get nutrition in.Finally, if she looks chilled and fluffed up, then do make sure you are keeping her warm. You can cover three sides of the cage to keep heat in or consider moving her to a little hospital cage (one level with a soft substrate floor). You can use a heat lamp, or a heating pad under half her pen (do not put it in the cage) but do monitor closely. Alternatively, you can make a safe warmer from a clean sock filled 2/3rd full with uncooked white rice. Tie it closed and microwave (approx 1-1.5 min). Make sure to shake it before adding it to the cage, to allow the heat to distribute. Make sure its not too hot (as we don’t want to burn her. If it cools, you can re-warm as required). Whichever technique you use, do monitor the temperature closely, since we don’t want to overheat her (and we cannot be confident he would move herself if he grew too warm). Overall, I am quite concerned about your wee lass; especially since her signs do make me concerned about dehydration and low blood sugar secondary to the diarrhea she is having (which could be infectious, nutritional or toxic related). So, we'd want to start the above now with a view to having her seen as soon as possible. Once her vet is open, they can check her and a stool +/- blood sample to pinpoint the root cause for her signs and ensure we can start treating her effectively to help her recover. Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.
How is everything going with your wee one?Dr. B.