Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

Recently added 2 new 1 year old chicken's to my other 2 1 year

Customer Question

Recently added 2 new 1 year old chicken's to my other 2 1 year old chicken's and one of them a Bielefelder has gotten very almost lethargic the other chicken's pick on her but she seems to be getting worse every day,not eating as much or drinking as much just curling up and laying in a corner of the yard
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 9 months ago.
Lawerence, I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. We don't have many avian vets on this site. Unfortunately, the symptoms you've mentioned can indicate any number of illnesses or health issues in chickens. In avian medicine, there's rarely one cause of a clinical presentation, so we usually begin with a list of differential diagnoses and use lab tests, X-rays, and physical exams to differentiate one disorder from another. With this in mind, your best course of action is to reach out to your county-extension poultry personnel or avian-oriented veterinarian (please see here: www.aav.org) for help.It's best to approach the diagnostic process with a clear sense of her financial value to your operation. Although some services such as your county animal disease diagnostic laboratory might be available free of charge through a county agency or land-grant extension office, the expense of some diagnostic tests and treatments can add up quickly. While it’s always worth your time and money to identify a bacterial or viral infection that could potentially impact more than one member of the flock, this might not be the case with a condition that only affects one hen.For now, she should be brought inside in the following manner: http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2015/02/how-to-help-sick-chicken.html It frustrates me that I can't be more specific for you. Such is the dilemma for poultry caretakers and vets. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Not exatcly the answer we were looking for. We know from past experiance, birds can hide there illness very well. Even taking her in may not help. That has happened with our dogs. We understan it can get costly in a very short time if one lets it. Anyway, thank you..
I understand. I wish I could be more forthcoming. She needs a hands-on exam.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
We are done..