Dr. B.
Dr. B., Bird Veterinarian
Experience:  As a veterinary surgeon, I have spent a lot of time with bird cases and I'm happy to help you.

My silkie is lethargic, not eating/drinking and appears to

Customer Question

My silkie is lethargic, not eating/drinking and appears to have diarhea. What can I do.
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. Now as I am sure you can appreciate, we can see diarrhea in our birds for a range of reasons. Common causes are bacterial infection, viruses, parasites/protozoa, nutritional issues, and even secondary to toxic ingestions (though hopefully less likely).With this in mind, we do need to tread with care if she is off food/water. This is because she is at high risk of dehydration and energy depletion. Therefore, we need to start supportive care but also get to root of this so that we can treat it and clear it for her.In regards ***** ***** care, we can start by addressing this lapse in eating/drinking. Now with diarrhea, even the drinking bird can end up dehydrated due to not being able to keep up with the fluid losses. And the bird that isn’t drinking is even more at risk of this. Therefore, we’d want to start offering her water with electrolytes instead of plain water. There are readily available electrolyte solutions available on the market (ie. Vi-tal) or you can use Pedialyte or diluted Gatorade (diluted 50/50 with water). These will help replace the electrolytes that she will be losing along with water in her diarrhea. Since she isn’t drinking, you can administer fluids (and hand feeding) via towel restraining and a syringe or dropper. Wrap her “burrito style” and hold securely upright in lap. You can drip water on top of the beak, as reflex will cause them to catch the droplets with their tongue. (some will even drink from the syringe directly). In doing this, do make sure not to get water into the nares.In regards ***** ***** do try her favorites. As well, you can offer fresh foods, high in nutrition and water content like cucumbers, Romaine, grapes, melon, oranges, etc. Also, we can offer cooked brown rice, cous cous, and even hard boiled eggs with mashed shell. Otherwise, we can start her with Nutrical paste +/- use a hand feeding formula (ie Zupreem) to syringe feed her and provide her with the calories she needs.Further to these, if her stools is very runny, it would be worth starting an OTC avian probiotic (ie Avipro Plus) +/- a anti-diarrhea like Kaolin/Kaopectate. The former will help settle any gut microflora imbalance in her gut and the latter will slow the diarrhea and give her gut a chance to absorb food/fluids form her gut. And if she isn’t up to date on worming, this would be a based to cover for her as well.Finally, if we do find this is lingering and since we do have a number of concerns for this loose stool and her signs, we’d also want to consider submitting a fresh fecal sample her vet once they are open (they can send this to the lab for you or advise you of how to send a sample directly). This can be checked for common parasitic (worms and protozoa) and bacterial causes of diarrhea of the chicken. As well, the bacterial culture will be tested to determine which antibiotics they are sensitive to (so if it is a bacteria , we will know what will clear it).Overall, your lass’s signs do raise a number of concerns. Still,at this stage, the key would be to initiate supportive care to keep her hydrated and keep her energy levels up so she can fight this. Further to that, we’d want to add the above further supportive care to slow her diarrhea and rule out parasites. And if her signs linger, then we’d need to think about a stool test +/- broad spectrum antibiotic to give us the best chance of addressing this and get her back to normal as soon as possible. Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.
Hi Amy,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.