Dr. Gary, Bird Veterinarian
Experience:  2 plus years as a bird vet

My ducks foot is swollen. The duck doesn't put much weight

Customer Question

My ducks foot is swollen. The duck doesn't put much weight on it if at all
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. How old is Foot?
Customer: The duck is about 4-6 weeks old. They were in the yard yesterday and something startled her and she stumbled
JA: Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: Yes, nothing I can see
JA: The Veterinarian will know what to do. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Foot?
Customer: It feels a bit warmer than the other foot
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Bird Veterinary
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
She is still eating and drinking, but is sitting most of the time.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 5 months ago.
Hello. Thanks for the question. If you want to get this resolved most quickly, I would get a vet to look at it and prescribe some pain meds. I usually go with Meloxicam or Buprenorphine in avians. An x-ray would also help to rule out fractures, although that's unlikely without some type of trauma. My guess is that it's just a sprain/ strain that is swollen. If you want to just manage from home, you can do alternating ice packs and warm compresses on the foot. I would try to do 2 of each throughout the day. That'll help with the pain and swelling. It should resolve within 7-10 days. I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.