Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

I have a 3 year old female parakeet who has a growth about

Customer Question

I have a 3 year old female parakeet who has a growth about the size of a jelly bean. she is happy , eating and active with her partner. Could this b a tumor. its been there for the last 6 months
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 7 months ago.
It certainly could be. Skin cancers are relatively common in parakeets. Feather cysts are another consideration. Where on Jackie's body is this growth found, please? Can you upload a close-up photo(s) of this growth to our conversation? You can use the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see the icon) or you can use an external app such as dropbox.com/ I can be more accurate for you if I can see what you're seeing.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
i do not see the paperclip
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
can i send a pic by phone
Yes, you can send it to***@******.*** who will forward it to me. This can take up to 24 hours, however.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
i have sent it
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
how long will it take u to receive it
Thank you! Up to 24 hours. I'll return to our conversation as soon as it arrives.. I'm chained to my computer by evil gnomes.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
ok so i will return tomorrow for answers
Sounds good. Please tell me where on your bird this growth is found.
I just received the photo. Thank you. That's a remarkably large tumor - much larger than a jelly bean! It's likely to be benign because it hasn't killed her but if at all possible, it should be surgically removed before it ulcerates or ruptures. She'll need the attention of an avian vet (www.aav.org). Please continue our conversation if you wish.