Dr. B.
Dr. B., Bird Veterinarian
Experience:  As a veterinary surgeon, I have spent a lot of time with bird cases and I'm happy to help you.
60269376

I have an Isa Brown chicken, about 4 years old. He feet have

Customer Question

I have an Isa Brown chicken, about 4 years old. He feet have both curled and she is unable to walk. I have been feeding her and she seems in relatively good spirits otherwise.
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me: How long has she been showing these signs?Can she grip anything or move her toes?Any history of trauma or issues with egg laying?Any signs of weight loss or distension of her belly?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hi.
My Isa Brown is about 4 years old and hasn't laid eggs now for about a year.
She is unable to grip anything, but has recently been able to stretch her feet out occasionally.
This has been about a one month process. Initially she went off her food and rapidly deterriorated and sought refuge under the house. I thought she was planning to quietly die. However, she lingered but was unable to move.
I have been feeding and watering her for the past month.
She is progressively stronger and uses her wings to lift herself up.
She and her mate have been well fed, so their bellies are ample. No obvious distension noted.
No runny stools.
sally
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.
Thank you Sally, Now I have to say that I am quite concerned about your lass.This loss of foot use, curling, and lack of grip raise serious concern of nerve dysfunction, spinal issues, and potentially viral disease (ie Newcastle’s). Less commonly we can see this with Vitamin B deficiency, but this would be less likely if she is well fed and the only bird affected.In regards ***** ***** issues, we can see these signs triggered by traumatic damage but also inflammation and/or compression (ie disc based, abscess, blood clot, tumor, etc) of nervous system tissue. Furthermore, if she hasn’t laid in an year, there is also concern of internal reproductive tissue based (or kidney based) tumors causing nerve compression and thus affecting the legs in this manner.With the duration of her signs and lack of improvement over time, we do need to tread with care. In this case, it’d be ideal to have her evaluated by her local vet at this stage. They can perform a neurological examination and also palpate/ultrasound her for a mass. Depending on their findings, they can trial her on anti-inflammatories to reduce any nervous system based inflammation to see if they can get her mobile. Though if a mass is found, then her prognosis for recovery would be poor and we’d have to consider whether we let her go or continue her care for as long as she is mentally herself. Just in case you do need an avian vet and do not have one already, you can check where you can find one at near you at AAV (http://www.aav.org/search/), Avian web(http://www.beautyofbirds.com/recommendedvets.htm) or Birdsnway(http://www.birdsnways.com/birds/vets.htm).Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please rate my service afterwards, as this is the only way I am credited for helping you today. Thank you! : )