Dr. B.
Dr. B., Bird Veterinarian
Experience:  As a veterinary surgeon, I have spent a lot of time with bird cases and I'm happy to help you.
60269376

9 wk old splash Silkie pullet was fine on Friday. Saturday

Customer Question

9 wk old splash Silkie pullet was fine on Friday. Saturday morning I noticed she couldn't keep her balance. She falls forward, backwards or sideways. She was lethargic on Saturday but is eating, drinking and alert as of Sunday.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the bird. What is the bird's name and age?
Customer: She is in coop with 6 other young birds and they are all fine. She has no apparent injuries. Unfortunately they were out of food/water for a whole day I believe. It was rather warm temp wise, the one day. I have given her ACV, PolyVisol. Please help
JA: What is the bird's name?
Customer: Margaret & she is approx 9-10 weeks
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Margaret?
Customer: She has been with me, in a box, since I found her like this Saturday.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help. Now I have to say that I am quite concerned about Margaret and these signs; especially since there are quite a few differentials that arise with this history and if she is still struggling days later.To start, we can see the signs you have reported in birds that are particularly sensitive to heatstroke (her breed being quite prone), water deprivation, and low blood sugar or calcium secondary to starvation. As well, any of the above can prompt a bird to make poor decisions when foraging for food. So, additional concerns of toxins, dangerous plant ingestions, contaminated/spoiled food she may have found (fermented fruits or moldy food), foreign bodies, or insect (poisonous ones but also any dead by pesticides) ingestions would also be a concern. And starvation does also carry the risk of sensitive birds developing secondary liver issues.Of course, if those issues in the coop were a red herring, we’d also have to be wary of infectious agents like bacterial meningitis inducing agents (ie clostridia, listeria, mycoplasma etc), viruses, parasites (ie coccidia, toxoplasma, etc), and deficiencies in general (ie thiamine, vitamin A+E and selenium). As well, her wobbliness and balance issues could also fit with head trauma or middle ear issues.With all this in mind, I am glad to see that you have isolated her and are providing supportive care. We will want to keep doing so with close monitoring (perhaps consider a avian specific vitamin +/- using an avian electrolyte product like Vi-tal to help cover those deficiency bases) and if her signs are directly due to those shortcomings the other day, then we'd hope to see her continue to improve. Though if she doesn't, we'd need to consider those other differentials and potentially cover bases by worming +/- using a broad spectrum antibiotic. Otherwise, we may need her local avian vet to examine her and do a full neurological exam. Depending on their findings, they can help narrow these differentials down further and start her on bird safe anti-inflammatories and targeted treatment to get her back to moving normally. Just in case you do need an avian vet and do not have one already, you can check where you can find one at near you at AAV (http://www.aav.org/search/), Avian web(http://www.beautyofbirds.com/recommendedvets.htm) or Birdsnway(http://www.birdsnways.com/birds/vets.htm).Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please rate my service afterwards, as this is the only way I am credited for helping you today. Thank you! : )