Dr. B.
Dr. B., Bird Veterinarian
Experience:  As a veterinary surgeon, I have spent a lot of time with bird cases and I'm happy to help you.
60269376

I have lost 3 birds in the last month. They seem to have trouble

Customer Question

I have lost 3 birds in the last month. They seem to have trouble breathing and die with 24 hours of noticing their symptoms.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the bird?
Customer: They were fine the day before and then just slow down unable to keep up with the rest of the flock as they peck for bugs. They start sitting down and make a very low noise with each breath and finally they die.
JA: What is the bird's name and age?
Customer: They are guineas and only either 1 or 2 years old.
JA: What is the bird's name?
Customer: still with me?
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the bird?
Customer: I wish there were. it seems to effect them very hard and fast and looks like they are grasping for air at the end.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help. Unfortunately, it sounds like the girls haven't been giving you much in the way of hints in deciphering what is causing these deaths in the flock. True sudden deterioration with breathing changea and death of multiple birds would suggest a toxic or infectious condition. That said, the instincts of the chickens can thwart us here because they do a very good job of covering up when they are sick. This is because as a prey species, attention to your illness will make you a target for predation. And too often we only see signs of struggling when their condition is just too advanced for them to hide any longer. Therefore, bird instinct means we do also have to consider any other non-acute disease that could silently manifest over time (which makes our list of possible causes massive).Now while it isn't nice to think about, if you have had a hen die recently or one currently affected, it would be worth submitting them for post mortem. If you speak to the vet, they may be able to perform the autopsy in the practice. Alternatively, if you live near a vet school, vet lab, or agricultural college, they too likely can help you in this manner.If the vet performs the autopsy and cannot find an obvious visible cause of her death, then they can collect samples to submit to the lab for the pathologists to evaluate. The pathologists will be able to examine the tissues under the microscope and determine the causative agent that lead to these deaths. As well, if bacterial or viral causes are suspected, these can be cultured to determine what is present and what treatments will effectively clear them. This will both give you closure for these losses, but also help you know if this is something that threatens the whole flock. And once you know the causative agent, you will be able to protect them effectively. Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )