Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

8 day old goose woke up this morning and it cant walk very

Customer Question

8 day old goose woke up this morning and it cant walk very much joints are swollen just lays around making alot of noise which is not a worry some noise just goose noises.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the bird. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the bird?
Customer: it is more comfortable just laying in a water dish
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry to hear of this with your gosling. You've described an infectious synovitis - infection in its joints - a relatively common problem in young waterfow. and a stubborn infection to have to deal with. This is best addressed by tapping a joint and then culturing the joint fluid to see which bacteria are present and then which antibiotic would be the one of choice. If you don't have an avian vet (please see here: www.aav.org) available you can purchase tylosin in the form of Tylan-50 at your local feed store and administer it at a dose of 20-30 mg/lb once daily orally even though it's an injectable solution. You'll need to continue dosing for 2-3 weeks but if you didn't see an appreciable response to that antibiotic, another would have to be prescribed by a vet. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.