Dr. B.
Dr. B., Bird Veterinarian
Experience:  As a veterinary surgeon, I have spent a lot of time with bird cases and I'm happy to help you.
60269376

My conure ate a piece of buprenorphine. How do I induce vomitting?

Customer Question

JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: Green cheek conure, small parrot
JA: OK. The Veterinarian will know if the parrot will be able to digest that. What is the parrot's name and age?
Customer: 1 yr old, Chanel
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Chanel?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. First, I would strongly advise not making her vomit. This is quite risky in birds and we could see her aspirate vomit into her lungs which could cause even more harm.Instead it would be better to bind the drug using activated charcoal. This is available over the counter from the pharmacy and works by binding any remaining material in the stomach. For activated charcoal, we tend to give 1-4 grams per pound every 8 hrs. This can be mixed with food to be fed or with water to syringe feed (do note that it stains, so keep it away from white carpets/clothes). This will just limit how much is absorbed and reduce the intoxication risk here.Otherwise, if you cannot get this or are struggling at all, we'd want to ring your local avian or ER vet. Both can provide supportive care and the ER vet may actually carry Naloxone (the antidote for this drug class). If they do, this can be given to quickly and safely counter the drugs effects and prevent any harm for Chanel. Just in case you need a local emergency vet, you can check @ http://www.vetlocator.com/ or viahttp://www.veccs.org/index.php?option=com_hospitals&nationid=1&Itemid=193 Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok so you are going to contact the vet or me? I'm in Manhattan, NY
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
Hi again,In regards ***** ***** your local ER vet, I would advise you to do so as you will know which ER vets are nearest to you when you check those databases using your post code.All the best,Dr. B.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )