Dr. B.
Dr. B., Bird Veterinarian
Experience:  As a veterinary surgeon, I have spent a lot of time with bird cases and I'm happy to help you.
60269376

2 years ago a duck made her nest under a shrub in front of

Customer Question

2 years ago a duck made her nest under a shrub in front of our house. She laid 1 egg on the grass near the road, but since I knew where her nest was, I moved the egg to the nest. In a couple months, all the eggs hatched and the duck family moved on (to the nearby creek, we think). ... 2 days ago we saw a male duck in the cul-de-sac (prob. scoping it out), and yesterday morning and this morning, the female duck was hanging around. THIS morning, she laid an egg on the road (on the pavement). She stayed near it, but we were afraid a car come by and run it over, so I carefully moved it over to the grass. She watched me, so she knows where it is. Activity in the cul-de-sac picked up, and she flew away a little while ago. She didn't drop any more eggs that we saw. Problem is, this year we don't know where her nest is, so I have no place to put the egg. If I leave it where it is on the grass, I'm afraid a dog or kid might come by a disturb it, or worse. I am looking for any guidance or suggestions. Thanks!
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help. In regards ***** ***** question, this is quite tricky if we aren't sure where her new nest is. So, while I appreciate that there is risk for it staying where it is, from the natural selection point of view this may be for the best. That way if she comes back she has the best chance of finding it and you will have the best chance of determining where her nest may be to then help her relocate it. There is risk to the egg but in the wild an egg laid in a poorly located area and then left isn't one that often has much of a future. Otherwise, the next logical option would be to put this egg where her last nest was. We will have to hope she finds it (you could try leaving food to lure her to it), but we know she has used it in the past and there is a chance she will return to the egg here and we already know that it is a more secure site for it. Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )