Dr. B.
Dr. B., Bird Veterinarian
Experience:  As a veterinary surgeon, I have spent a lot of time with bird cases and I'm happy to help you.
60269376

I have a female black bird in my garden. It has a broken leg

Customer Question

I have a female black bird in my garden. It has a broken leg and isn't nesting at the moment. I have left water and food at ground level and noticed at 7am that it is spending the night under my hedge. Do you have any suggestions please
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: No, I can't get close enough as it is very nervous, it doesn't put wait on this foot
JA: The Veterinarian will ask you more detailed questions to find out what is causing this. What is the bird's name and age?
Customer: It is a wild female blackbird, that is all I can tell
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the bird?
Customer: Blackbirds are nesting throughout the back garden at the moment, but this little sick bird is mainly staying around the front away from others.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help. I am very sorry to hear that this poor lass is injured.With this suspect fracture in mind and as she is wild, we have to consider this situation with care. When doing so, we have 2 options. We can let nature takes its course and let this lass either heal or pass away. If we do this, you can certainly leave food/water in easy reach for her to allow her as much of a chance as possible to heal any fracture as best she can and survive. Otherwise, if you suspect severe damage or she looks to be suffering, then it would be kindest to try to catch her and then turn her over to a wildlife facility who is going to be able to provide pain relief and care for this leg. If there is any salvaging of the limb, they will be able to help and if not they will be in a position to retain her long term. In regards ***** ***** your nearest facility, you can check at Wildlife International (http://www.wildlifeinternational.org/EN/public/emergency/emergencyrehab.html). Alternatively, you can turn this bird over to your local veterinary practice and they will be able to examine/treat and be able to directly turn her over to the rehabilitation centre (often the vets will have a relationship with the local rehab centre and sometimes are able to get them in even if the facility isn't accepting birds from the public). Finally, while deciding which road to take with this lass, I do want to note some foods we use when feeding blackbirds. Specifically, you can leave her a mix of mealworms, earthworms, soaked dog or cat food, berries and fruit (ie grapes, watermelon, melon, and oranges), a small volume of veggies (no greens), and 1 teaspoon suet (5%). That way we can give her sustenance during this difficult time. Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** left her all the foods you suggest and plenty of water. She is coping very well at the minute and lies in the shadow of the hedge throughout the day. I will keep a very close eye on her, and if I feel she is suffering in any way, I will try to catch her with one of my large Koi nets, and then take her to my local vet. Thanks again for getting back to me.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.
You are very welcome,I am glad you have left her that array and are looking out for her. :)Hopefully, she will improve for you but otherwise that sounds like a good plan of action.Best wishes to you both,Dr. B.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: