Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

Hey, one of my pullets has dark green, runney JA: I'll do

Customer Question

Hey, one of my pullets has dark green, runney
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with your bird?
Customer: stools
JA: What is the bird's name and age?
Customer: to young to name about 7 to 8 weeks old
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about About?
Customer: the rest are all ok, i keep clean freshwater and feed ,they are eating medicated chick starter
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 5 months ago.
Diarrhea at this age may be due to gastrointestinal parasites but can also arise from bacterial, viral, and fungal respiratory infections and sepsis if the infections are severe. It's not unreasonable to continue the medicated chick starter which contains a coccidiostat but I would also worm the pullet (and all of your birds) with piperazine (Wazine, e.g.) in case roundworms are present. Because diarrhea is so nonspecific a symptom presumptive antibacterial therapy with either tetracycline (Duramycin-10, e.g.) or tylosin isn't unreasonable although I prefer to culture the cloaca of these birds in an attempt to identify a specific pathogen which I can then treat specifically. This is done by an avian vet (please see here: but I understand that you might not have such a vet available to you or it's not financially reasonable to entertain testing. My choice would be tylosin (Tylan-50 available in your local feed store) given at 20-30 mg/lb once daily for 5-7 days intramuscularly or the injectable solution can be given orally.Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?