Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Veterinarian
Experience:  35 years in general practice, including avian.
18324312

CHicken just standing not moving with tail down and tucked JA:

Customer Question

CHicken just standing not moving with tail down and tucked
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the bird. What is the bird's name and age?
Customer: Elizabeth and four years old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Elizabeth?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 7 months ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. Bob.I apologize to you for the length of time this reply has taken to get back to you and I'm sorry to read of your hen's condition. How long has she been showing the symptoms you've described, and is she still laying eggs?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
She is not laying. Has been sick for six days now. We have been giving her an electrolyte and probiotic solution. Not sure if it is helping but she seemed to pick up a little today. But she is very thin and I don't think she is eating much. If I hold food in front
of her she will peek at it a bit.
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 7 months ago.
Hello again. I apologize again as I have been offline while traveling and just now returned to find your reply.The symptoms she's showing are those most commonly seen with a condition called "colibacillosis" an infection in the reproductive tract. There are several other possibilities including gout (visceral) the most common of the alternatives, infectious bronchitis, also common, cage fatigue which is not common, and Newcastle (exotic) which is very rare, In order to try to come as close as possible to a diagnosis without a post-mortem examination, you may want to google each of the conditions I've listed in the order given, adding "in chickens" to your search. You'll find a number of articles on each. Pick one or two and compare the symptoms listed in detail there to what you're seeing in Elizabeth. I think you'll find that considering her age, the symptoms described for colibacillosis are the best fit. Unfortunately, if this is true, there is no effective treatment and she's not going to recover for you. She will simply waste away over a prolonged period of time - up to six months; and you'll be presented with the decision of whether to allow the process to proceed or to end her suffering. I truly wish I had a happier and simpler answer for you, and if you should have any further questions, please let me know, I'll be happy to answer them for you.Kind regards, *****