Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

Hey. He is a sun conure. His left wing is twitching. He is

Customer Question

Hey. He is a sun conure. His left wing is twitching. He is constantly bobbing his head up and down and his feathers are puffed out
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the bird's name and age?
Customer: Louie. 5 months
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Louie?
Customer: I've only had him for about 2 weeks. He has only started to do this today. He appears to be eating well
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 10 months ago.
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. We don't have many avian vets on this site. Louie appears to be tremoring. His wing twitch appears to represent a constant repetitive myoclonus - constant rhythmic jerking which persists during activity, rest, and sleep. If it does stop it would be considered a sporadic myoclonus. His head bobbing is considered an idiopathic (unknown cause) head tremor which often is confused with focal seizures. Whatever the names of his behavior, it indicates derangement in his brain which might be congenital (present at birth) considering his young age or due to trauma, malnutrition, or infection. Louie is going to need the attention of an avian vet who can perform a thorough physical exam including blood and fecal tests. Nutritional imbalances are a common cause of illness in our pet birds. What has Louie's diet consisted of, please? Seeds should compose less than 20% of his diet. Ideally, a balanced pelleted diet such as can be found here: www.harrisonsbirdfoods.com or here: www.lafeber.com/pet-birds should be fed as well as hard boiled egg yolk, pancakes and cornbread, the tops of fresh greens, dairy products such as yogurt and cheese, fresh fruits such as apples, pears, melon, kiwi, and berries, vegetables such as broccoli, carrots, beets, asparagus, cabbage, sweet potato, and squash, and even tiny pieces of meat.