Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

She is making raspy noises when she is breathing and she sometimes

Customer Question

She is making raspy noises when she is breathing and she sometimes breaths with her mouth open.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the bird?
Customer: Notice this am she was breathing with her mouth open. Sounds raspy
JA: Where does the bird seem to hurt?
Customer: She not hurt. She was in the coop on the roost
JA: OK. No obvious pain. What is the bird's name and age?
Customer: No name, 2 years old
JA: What is the bird's name?
Customer: She is a Easter Egger
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the bird?
Customer: No, I didn't notice her droppings
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 5 months ago.
You’ve described the symptoms of respiratory disease in your Easter Egger. Respiratory infections in poultry have several etiologies but outward signs - conjunctivitis, nasal discharge, swollen sinuses, gaping, coughing, and labored breathing - may appear similar to you. Successful treatment of respiratory disease requires the correct diagnosis which can be a challenge to clarify unless you have a vet experienced in avian medicine (please see here: Your vet can perform several tests including bacterial cultures of the airways, blood tests, and necropsies (post-mortem examinations of dead birds). Necropsies are particularly valuable when large flocks are involved. We might sacrifice an ill bird in an attempt to identify the etiology of the infection and then be able to treat the rest of the flock in the most appropriate manner. If more than one bird is affected, medicating through the drinking water might be necessary with a tetracycline-containing product such as this: If just one or a few birds are affected, your vet might show you how to inject the broad spectrum antibiotics tylosin (Tylan-50 at your local feed store dosed at 20-30 mg/lb once daily intramuscularly or the injectable solution can be given orally for 5-7 days) or enrofloxacin or dose them orally. Here is a reference guide for you: but your vet should be the final determiner of which antibiotic and what dose to administer. When testing isn’t possible, presumptive treatment with antibiotics such as Duramycin or tylosin may have to suffice. Bacterial diseases include fowl cholera (Pasteurellosis), chicken coryza (Haemophilus paragallinarum) and turkey coryza (Bordetella avium), and avian mycoplasmosis (Mycoplasma gallisepticum). Fungal infection is most often caused by Aspergillus spp. Parasitic infection is usually caused by the gapeworm Syngamus trachea which is more common in game birds and waterfowl. Viral infections include infectious laryngotracheitis (herpesvirus), Newcastle disease (NDV), and infectious bronchitis (corona virus/not in turkeys). Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Should I isolate the chickens who seem to be affected or treat my whole flock since they are all in the same coop?
If just the one chicken appears ill, she should be brought inside and treated in this manner: Once you've seen evidence of respiratory disease, however, all of your birds have already been exposed and are either immune, incubating the infection, or are carriers. I prefer not to treat an entire flock with an antibiotic unless I've identified what I'm treating and know that that antibiotic is appropriate. If you're already seeing evidence of more than one bird being affected and you don't have an avian vet then, yes, I would treat the whole flock with Duramycin in their drinking water for 10 consecutive days as per the label's instructions.Please continue our conversation if you wish.