Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My sons class raised baby chicks in school (bantams). One of

Customer Question

My sons class raised baby chicks in school (bantams). One of the chicks is unable to walk, almost seeming as if both legs are hyperextended. I've been following the course of treatment for splayed legs, but I'm not sure if this is best practice. When I hold the chick in an upright position, the hyper flexion propels this little chick forwards so that its unable to even establish an appropriate gate. It lays on its side mostly and just pushes itself about. How can I help her?
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 7 months ago.
Jessica, I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. We don't have many avian vets on this site and it's very difficult to assess a chick's deformity from a distance. It sounds as if you've done what you should for spraddle leg but I don't know if the chick suffers from that. Please take a look at this site and tell me if this chick would, indeed, benefit from your treatment: http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/02/spraddle-leg-in-baby-chicks-what-is-it.html (A video of the chick would be ideal! You would need to upload it to an external iste such as YouTube and then give me the link to it. Remember not to mark the video as "private".)