Dr. B.
Dr. B., Bird Veterinarian
Experience:  As a veterinary surgeon, I have spent a lot of time with bird cases and I'm happy to help you.

We raised Sam, our female umbrella, from a 2 month old baby.

Customer Question

We raised Sam, our female umbrella, from a 2 month old baby. She is 25 years old. She has been healthy, active, happy, beautiful plumage, has been letting us know she was getting ready to lay her usual spring egg. Last year there were 2 eggs. Of note, in the down stairs bathroom, in a box in the tub we are raising month old chicks from a reputable chicken farm. There are no health problems with chicks. Sam was very healthy, absolutely no sign of distress, eating well, no diarrhea, etc. We have raised chicks in the bathroom in the past.
I am broken hearted, Sam was dead in her cage this am.
Any thought's?
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you today. I am so very sorry to hear that Sam has passed away without any warning.This is unfortunately not uncommon in birds since as a prey species they often go out of their way to pretend all is well until their health conditions are advanced. So, while we'd have to consider egg binding, complications with lay, and toxin exposure for a sudden unexplained death; we also have to consider organ failure (ie heart, kidney, liver), cancer, and systemic infections (ie bacterial, viral, fungal). In regards ***** ***** these down further to give you closure for her loss, I'd suggest an autopsy be done. Some avian vets can do this for you, but otherwise you can have her body sent to the local vet lab or vet school for analysis. This way you ill be able to know why she passed without warning, whether it is something that could endanger the chicks, and help you find peace with her tragic loss. Please take care, Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )