Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

I came home and my bird was puffed up and her head down was

Customer Question

I came home and my bird was puffed up and her head down was diwn and spitting bird seed from her mouth she is a parakeet she seems to just close her eyes and just is unresponsive.
JA: IÂ’m sorry to hear that. What is the bird's name and age?
Customer: I rescued her and must about 5 years old? And her name is. Prettygirl. I need to get some kind of answer i have tried everything no vets around.
JA: Huh? I can help you talk to the doctor. Thanks for coming to JustAnswer. How can we help?
Customer: I just sent a message about her?
JA: OK. The doctor will know what to do. Please tell me everything you can so the doctor can help you best.
Customer: She is fluffed up and she is putting her down closed eyes like she is taking a nap.also started spitting out seed. She still has her eyes closed like shes napping.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the doctor should know?
Customer: She isn't eating i woyld expect that, but that's it.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the doctor about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Bird Veterinary
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I am still waiting?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Where is the vet??? I am going to cancel if i don't speak to someone.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I can't wait a day!!
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 6 months ago.
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. We don't have many avian vets on this site. Please let me know if you still need help. It's important to note that once a parakeet acts ill they're quite ill and in need of the attention of an avian-oriented vet (please see here: This is a protective mechanism because sick birds are attacked by other birds in the wild. Prettygirl's symptoms of weakness, fluffing, anorexia and regurgitation/vomiting are important symptoms but they're not pathognomonic (specifically indicative) of any one particular disorder.An avian-oriented vet might first treat symptomatically and supportively by providing supplemental fluids and electrolytes by needle and tube feeding a "recovery" food. Blood tests and cultures of Prettygirl's choana - the slit between her oral cavity and nose - and cloaca (vent) may be taken. Whole body X-rays can be helpful as well.Until she can be attended to, please heat up her environment to 85F by means of a 100W bulb shined into her partially covered cage (not at night when she needs to rest) or by taping a heating pad set on its lowest setting to the sides of her cage. Remove her perches and put her food and water on the bottom of the cage along with her. Add a water soluble avian vitamin such as Oasis brand to her water at half of the recommended dose so as not to make her water distasteful. Add a calcium supplement such as Calcivet or Calciboost to her water. These supplements are available in pet/feed stores. Avoid over the counter antibiotics designed to be placed in her water. They won't be effective if only because an ill bird won't drink enough to medicate itself properly.Nutritional imbalances are a common cause of illness in our pet birds. What has Prettygirl's diet consisted of, please? Seeds should compose less than 20% of her diet. Ideally, a balanced pelleted diet such as can be found here: or here: should be fed as well as hard boiled egg yolk, pancakes and cornbread, the tops of fresh greens, dairy products such as yogurt and cheese, fresh fruits such as apples, pears, melon, kiwi, and berries, vegetables such as broccoli, carrots, beets, asparagus, cabbage, sweet potato, and squash, and even tiny pieces of meat.Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?