Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

2.5 week old chock has rattling and recently has bad leg (

Customer Question

2.5 week old chock has rattling and recently has bad leg ( cannot stretch it out on its own). Other chicks are fine. What can I do for this chick?
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 6 months ago.
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. We don't have many avian vets on this site. Rattling is a serious symptom of lower respiratory disease - often a bacterial, viral, or fungal pneumonia. It takes a bit of testing and expense in order to clarify which infection is present and I understand that that might not be financially reasonable if just one chick is affected. I would bring the chick inside in this manner: You can find Duramycin-10 (tetracycline) in your local feed store and provide drinking water containing the tetracycline to the chick. You can also eyedropper the water into its beak along with a baby bird formula if it's not eating well.It's not clear to me why its leg can't be stretched out - trauma? a congenital (present at birth) defect? infectious arthritis (synovitis)? This is something that an avian vet would need to examine up close. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Chick is ok. Must just have a rattle in its voice, the leg straightened out and chick moves around with no problems. Will keep the info for the antibiotic. Thank you
Thank you for the good update. I appreciate your taking the time to let me know. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with another update at your convenience.