Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

One of my hens bottoms was dirty with the "runs" and some

Customer Question

One of my hens bottoms was dirty with the "runs" and some blood. She is also lethargic. I have 6 other hens. Can you tell me what you think she might have?
Category: Bird Veterinary
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 7 months ago.
Diarrhea with blood (hematochezia) should place coccidiosis high on the differential diagnosis list but there are a host of other infectious agents to consider. Bacterial infections such as fowl cholera (Pasteurella multocida), chicken coryza (Haemophilus paragallinarum), and colibacillosis (E. coli); and viral infections such as avian leukosis, Marek's disease, and infectious bronchitis can all cause diarrhea. Ideally, an avian vet should perform a fecal ova and parasite exam in order to identify a gastrointestinal parasite such as coccidia or roundworms. If that can't be done, presumptive treatment for coccidia with over the counter Corid (amprolium) and roundworms with over the counter Wazine (piperazine) should be considered.I regret that my state board of veterinary examiners doesn't allow me to speak to customers by phone in this venue but other experts in this category may be able to assist you in this regard. Please let me know if you'd like another expert to do so and I'll opt out of this question. Please stay in this conversation if you wish.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Are any of these infections contagious? Do I need to keep her separated at night? Does this virus effect the eggs they lay?
Everything I mentioned is contagious and I would expect your other 6 hens to have already been exposed. I don't see a reason to sequester her. Yes, all of the infections can affect egg production. With some of the infections, eggs are OK to eat but unless we can confirm what ails her, it's best not to eat her eggs...or her!