Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Veterinarian
Experience:  35 years in general practice, including avian.
18324312

My ameraucana last an egg on Sunday. She is usually a

Customer Question

My ameraucana last laid an egg on Sunday. She is usually a 6 per week layer. She doesn't appear sick, but she's not eating treats with the other girls and seems more sedentary then usual.
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 7 months ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. Bob. I'm sorry to read of your hen's cessation of egg laying. Have you checked to see if she might be egg-bound?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
On Sunday she was loitering in the nesting box longer than usual. I removed her, and set her down near the treats. The chicken at the bottom of the pecking order, jumped her and bit her neck. I've noticed that everyone is giving her space, and she's just hanging out under a bush. I have never had a chicken be egg bound, but from what I've read it's pretty rare.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Do you think a Epsom salt bath would help? What should the water temp be?like 101?
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 7 months ago.
Okay, thank you. The best way to determine if she is egg bound, which is not common, but does happen and is the easiest diagnosis to rule in or out, is to hold her between your knees with her head down and probing her cloaca with a lubricated (KY Jelly or Vaseline) glove finger. If there is no egg as far as you can reach into her vent with your forefinger, egg binding can be ruled out. Let me know what you find. There isn't much sense in a bath if egg binding is not the problem.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thanks. I will give it a try.
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 7 months ago.
You're welcome, let me know what you find.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I don't feel an egg, but when I had her upside down a stinky liquid came out of her mouth.
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 7 months ago.
Sorry again for the delay, I was offline for supper and a meeting. That sounds like she may be suffering from sour crop. An Epsom salt flush may be helpful for her. dissolve 1 teaspoon of Epsom salt in 1/2 cup of water, and pour it or squirt it down her throat twice daily for 2 to 3 days or until she's back to normal. I hope you realize that, without laboratory testing, a physical exam and the ability to watch her behavior, what I'm offering is, at best, ***** ***** guess. The good news is that the Epsom salt will not hurt her, and may very well help her, so it's deifintely worth the effort. Covering her with a vitamin supplement would also be a prudent measure. With any luck, you'll be able to help her through this crisis and she'll be back to normal within a few days, but let me know if I may be of any further assistance. Kind regards, *****
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 7 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Bob