Dr-Bonk, Veterinarian
Experience:  Five years as an associate veterinarian

Wow this is service. We have week old geese and the mother

Customer Question

wow this is service. We have week old geese and the mother stepped on one of her babies and now it cant walk on its right leg. we checked the leg and we don't think it is broken. We try to check its leg joint and it hurts. We don't know what to do because he/she cant get around with the siblings. I try to do a little therapy with it but that doesn't seem to work
JA: IÂ’m sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: all is good there
JA: What is the bird's name and age?
Customer: no name yet we helped the mother hatch 8 babies and 2 are still in the nursery and this one is injured. she is about a week old.
JA: Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: The baby is really healthy, eats and drink fine and is very social. the leg is the only problem
JA: What is the bird's name?
Customer: I guess hoppy
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr-Bonk replied 6 months ago.
I'm Dr. Bonk. I'm sorry to hear about your little gosling. Hopefully she is just experiencing a sprain/strain or some bruising. Usually with breaks in the larger bones in the legs, you would be able to tell. You can actually give the baby some aspirin to see if that helps with the pain. The dose is 25mg per pound. I'm guessing this baby is less than or right at one pound. You can dissolve a baby aspirin 4 ml of water and give 1 ml once per day. Don't give for more than 4 days. If this helps some but not 100%, consider other animal antiinflammatories like meloxicam or Rimadyl.Maybe consider keeping it confined with just a few of the other siblings so that it doesn't have to try so hard to stay with the group. I hope this helps. Please contact me with any further questions you may have. Thank you and good luck!
Expert:  Dr-Bonk replied 6 months ago.
You can also try rubbing a little Icy Hot or other pain reliever ointment on the leg, just make sure the others don't try to peck at it (I'm not sure that they will, but you never know).
Expert:  Dr-Bonk replied 6 months ago.
Hi Candis,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?