Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

I have a chicken that is dieing and I want to help it. Can

Customer Question

I have a chicken that is dieing and I want to help it. Can I get antibiotics for it?? Also, she is covered in mites, can I bathe her when she is this sick?
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 7 months ago.
Sheila, I regret that we're not allowed to prescribe antibiotics through this venue. If you want to treat presumptively with an antibiotic without having a vet attend to your hen, you can find Tylan-50 (tylosin) in your local feed store and dose it either by injection or orally at a dose of 10-15 mg/lb daily for 5-7 days. A barely responsive chicken isn't likely to respond to antibiotic therapy, however.Bathing in an insecticidal product should be avoided in such an ill bird. Dusting her with diatomaceous earth, kaolin clay or sulfur would be safe and can be quite effective against mites. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.