CVT_in_MN, Avian Veterinarian
Experience:  Work with birds in clinic setting as well as volunteer at wildlife rescue. Have owned birds, including parakeets and Cockatoos.

It is a wild duck in our pond. It can't fly and now I noticed

Customer Question

it is a wild duck in our pond. It can't fly and now I noticed it has a broken leg.
JA: IÂ’m sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: there is no wound. It just is limp.
JA: What is the bird's name and age?
Customer: It is full grown. I don't know how old.
JA: Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: Do you think there is anything that can be done? Will it survive?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  CVT_in_MN replied 6 months ago.
Hi there. My name is ***** ***** I"m happy to help you with your question today. Just like an in person consult, I have a few questions of my own to help ensure I give you the best advice possible.....Do you know how long it's been there?What is your zip code?Is it able to eat/drink that you've noticed?Is it putting weight on that leg when it walks?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It has been there for a year. It just broke the foot. Zip is 45917. It can't put any weight on the foot. It is eating good.
Are you in the US?If so, where?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Raleigh NC
Great. Thanks for the additional information. I really appreciate it.So the best thing to do is going to be contacting a wildlife rehabilitator in your area. They'll come out and pick the duck up, get it treatment and nurse it back to health. If they're unable to repair the problems, they'll find a place for it to live where it will be cared for such as a zoo, or other sanctuary.I did some research and found a couple in your area. You can check with these folks: these: hope this helps!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?