Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time, with a heavy emphasis on avian medicine.
36050890

When can I resume using eggs after administering tetracycline

Customer Question

when can I resume using eggs after administering tetracycline hydrochloride for 5 days to my hens
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 7 months ago.
Hello,I'm Dr. Jo and I'm here to help you with your question about the withdrawal period of tetracycline. (typing more below)
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 7 months ago.
The article I've linked to below is probably more scientific information than you're looking for, but I want to be sure I give you accurate information. This is the study that was done to get the statement regarding NOT FOR USE IN LAYING HENS off the package. http://www.fda.gov/AnimalVeterinary/Products/ApprovedAnimalDrugProducts/FOIADrugSummaries/ucm064719.htm
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 7 months ago.
The fact remains, however, that the withdrawal period for eggs after using tetracycline has NOT been established. It is up to you to decide when you can start using the eggs again.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 7 months ago.
Because this is a common question, I frequently tell people that based on other studies, I would expect the eggs to be safe to be safe again after six weeks. I know that is an outrageously long time, but I have to be conservative since the real answer to the real question of how SOON are they safe is unknown.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 7 months ago.
It's also really important to check the package of the product you actually used very carefully. If it says NOT FOR USE IN LAYING HENS, then the rules clearly state that the eggs from these hens must never be eaten. That's the rule, however; whether or not it would be safe to do so is uncertain. Does this help to answer your question at this time?
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 7 months ago.
For additional research, this website is very helpful. http://www.farad.org/vetgram/search.aspYou can look up your specific brand name of tetracycline and see if it has a withdrawal time for eggs listed on it. There is at least one brand name that has a 0-day withdrawal, which means you can use the eggs right away.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 7 months ago.
If you're planning to use the eggs yourself, the liability is minimized. While the drug is overall a safe choice, the liability is completely yours if you sell or give away these eggs and someone has a reaction somewhere down the line. When egg withdrawal times are not established, that means no one is going to promise you the eggs are safe for consumption, ever. Period. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, if that's the case.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 7 months ago.
Please also remember I am here for you and am happy to discuss your question until you are satisfied with the answer I've provided. You may return to this page at any time to review this information and/or post more. You may do so even after you've rated my response. I'll be notified of your response via email and will do my best to help you.If you are satisfied with the information I've provided, please take a moment to rate my response. I've done my best to provide you with the most accurate, thorough and up-to-date information that is available, and your positive feedback is important to me. Without it, I receive no compensation for helping you.If you are not satisfied, please let me know how else I may be of assistance.Thank you for using our website.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 7 months ago.
Hello,Just checking in to ask how things are going with your laying hens. Thank you,Dr. Jo