Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

So my 19yr old( and VERY NOSEY/CURIOUS;) ) peach front

Customer Question

Hello! So my 19yr old( and VERY NOSEY/CURIOUS;) ) peach front conjure who lovessss playing hide and seek had got himself in one bad spot.:( Freely roaming while I was in the kitchen ~putting away grocceries which I had all cabinets,and freezer n fridege open to do~Chompie(his name) had repeatdly been flying atop the fridge looking for miscief to which i kept chasing him off n away.Figuring he was in the other room getting even with me by silence and trouble,as is normal routine,I was in a hurry to get my child from school.Returning hm ,still no Chompie,searching eventually led us to him.:'-( in the freezer.My poor, poor Baby! First thing we noticed was his right foot was paticulary frozen though not excessive like frost bite or such but just really,really cold and for the first 2 hrs (while we of course were going thru routines of warming and babying him) he wasnt really wanting to use or walk w.right footsie.But the color at least was back healthy pink though the foot was more warm than usual.Hrs turn day~he was much the better .Used foot n claw as usual and on went the time.Had I the $ for a vet visit Id have course taken him however regretably I could not but Ive done all i could to tend to my feathered baby.A month plus later and I just seen that one single claw has went all white except for the vail or ? Of blood that runs through the claws.Which that is exsisting and good in color ,i think anyhow,its as should be,red and not none or dark as goes with dead nails otherwise.But I do not know what it means or such? Please help and Thank you
Category: Bird Veterinary
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 7 months ago.
I regret that my state board of veterinary examiners doesn't allow me to speak to customers by phone in this venue but other experts in this category may be able to assist you in this regard. Please let me know if you'd like another expert to do so and I'll opt out of this question. Please stay in this conversation if you wish. Frostbite was likely because a color change can be a permanent symptom of it. I suspect that the pigment producing cells in the nailbed or claw itself were damaged. Thankfully, the blood supply to the nail appears intact and the fact that the digit is healthy at this late date implies that it will stay that way. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.