Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

I have a male budgie.. lately he sleeps and is not active as

Customer Question

i have a male budgie.. lately he sleeps and is not active as usual
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the bird. What is the bird's name and age?
Customer: i dont' know how old is he but he is not an old bird for sure maybe 3 yrs
JA: What is the bird's name?
Customer: He is Buzu
JA: Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: When he sleeps he becomes as fat a she can maybe to keep himself warm
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Customer: he has a female budgie with him and is very lively
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 7 months ago.
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. We don't have many avian vets on this site. It's important to note that once a budgie acts ill they're quite ill and in need of the attention of an avian-oriented vet. This is a protective mechanism because sick birds are attacked by other birds in the wild. Buzu's symptoms of somnolence (sleepiness), lethargy, and fluffing are important symptoms but they're not pathognomonic (specifically indicative) of any one particular disorder.An avian-oriented vet might first treat symptomatically and supportively by providing supplemental fluids and electrolytes by needle and tube feeding a "recovery" food. Blood tests and cultures of Buzu's choana - the slit between his oral cavity and nose - and cloaca (vent) may be taken. Whole body X-rays can be quite helpful as well. i understand that you might not have such a vet available to you where you live.Until Buzu can be attended to, please heat up his environment to 85F by means of a 100W bulb shined into his partially covered cage (not at night when he needs to rest) or by taping a heating pad set on its lowest setting to the sides of his cage. If he appears weakened remove his perches and put his food and water on the bottom of the cage along with him. Add a water soluble avian vitamin such as Oasis brand to his water at half of the recommended dose so as not to make his water distasteful. Add a calcium supplement such as Calcivet or Calciboost to his water. These supplements are available in pet/agricultural merchant stores. Avoid over the counter antibiotics designed to be placed in his water. They won't be effective if only because an ill bird won't drink enough to medicate itself properly.Nutritional imbalances are a common cause of illness in our pet birds. What has Buzu's diet consisted of, please? Seeds should compose less than 20% of his diet. Ideally, a balanced pelleted diet such as can be found here: www.harrisonsbirdfoods.com or here: www.lafeber.com/pet-birds should be fed as well as hard boiled egg yolk, pancakes and cornbread, the tops of fresh greens, dairy products such as yogurt and cheese, fresh fruits such as apples, pears, melon, kiwi, and berries, vegetables such as broccoli, carrots, beets, asparagus, cabbage, sweet potato, and squash, and even tiny pieces of meat.Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
My budgie died the day after i wrote you
Thanks
My condolences for your loss of Buzu. You may receive an inappropriate follow-up from the site ostensibly sent by me. It wasn't and I apologize in advance should you receive it.