Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

I just got her yesterday and her poop was fine.. Now it's runny

Customer Question

I just got her yesterday and her poop was fine.. Now it's runny and green. I'm so this normal or no?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the bird's name and age?
Customer: Her name is ***** ***** I'm not quite sure how old she is..I'm waiting for the place I bought her to open..I think a few months..
JA: How old is Feathers?
Customer: Few months waiting for the place to open so I can call and ask..,
JA: Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: And that she does nothing,just sits there and doesn't makes a sound..please help..
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 6 months ago.
What type of bird is Feathers, please? Diarrhea has many possible etiologies but the stress of being rehomed should be the most important differential diagnosis for diarrhea in Feathers. A change in diet, a gram negative bacterial infection in her gastrointestinal tract, gastrointestinal parasites, and any number of systemic disorders can affect the GI tract. If her diarrhea persisted over more than 3 days, an avian vet (please see here: should take a look at her. Until Feathers might be attended to, please heat up her environment to 85F by means of a 100W bulb shined into her partially covered cage (not at night when she needs to rest) or by taping a heating pad set on its lowest setting to the sides of her cage.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?