Dr. B.
Dr. B., Bird Veterinarian
Experience:  As a veterinary surgeon, I have spent a lot of time with bird cases and I'm happy to help you.
60269376

I have 4 kookaburras that come in twice a day to feed on mince

Customer Question

I have 4 kookaburras that come in twice a day to feed on mince meat. However the female has broken half of her beak underneath. Can anything be done to help her and will she survive?
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 8 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. This is a very unfortunate situation for this bird.Severe beak injuries as you have described are often very serious for our birds. Since she is wild, she won't have the option of surgery, being hand or tube fed as a pet bird would. And in that case, while some birds can cope with soft foods, many will gradually lose weight and then die. So, that is our concern for this wee lass since lacking a bottom beak is quite important for survival as a wild bird. Therefore, to answer your question, there is sadly not much you can do for her. The only real option would be to contact your local rehabilitation center and see if they want to try to catch her so that she can be cared for. Otherwise, we'd just want to make getting food as easy as possible for her (especially since your supplementation is likely the easiest and possibly only food supply she can manage now). If she can at least work with you to eat, you may be able to help her get enough nutrition to prevent her wasting away.Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.
Just checking in, how is everything going?Dr. B.